1/07/2024

Travel Diaries aka Mostly Notes on Quitting Your Job

2024 Thoughts 

-Slow living
I like having my phone off and being off grid and not being able to be found. I like not knowing what time or day it is and taking ten hours to brush my teeth. I’m starting a garden. Cooking. Attempting to do less. Noticing how caught I have been in the busyness of it all even though I hadn’t wanted to be. 

In Mysore you get there, the yoga plus one. You realize it quickly if you are lucky. It isn’t really possible to do a bunch of things really really well. It all starts to get thinned out into nothingness and wasted efforts. 

Getting here though - from New Mexico to Nevada to New Mexico to Mysore to New Mexico to Mexico -  that took everything I had in a way. But it also felt so automatic. It was just happening like it was the only direction to walk. And now the slowing down.

-Minimalism
With the transitions there are definitely edits that are still needing to be made. For me it starts with just taking inventory:

    -Writing
I miss it. I missed the ritual of practice then process. Here we are again and I don’t know I guess you just have to start somewhere and it turns into something. 

    -Living in Mexico
At times there isn’t any water. The Bici bikes are handy. I like our depto. We are busy settling in. Settling in takes time. 

    -Quit corporate job and leave finance
That happened and feels great. Actually I went to college for painting. I taught yoga full time for about ten years after that and then realized that being a starving artist yoga teacher was pretty painful. (And I didn’t think it was very glamorous anymore.) Through a lot of hard work and tons of luck and twists of fate I broke into finance. The next 9 years were sink or swim but they got me here so I am really proud/grateful/fill in the blank. 

    -Prioritize health
“Here” is Mexico with my partner and our dogs just living our little life. 

And now I have the time and the bandwidth to write again. 

Quitting Job List 
Financial Advisor/Yoga Teacher Notes
-Financial
    -Make a list of all HR accounts associated with firm
        Health insurance, Dental, Vision, HSA, Life Insurance, 401ks, etc. Know when they expire. Know if you have to take steps to keep them in place (and if you want to). Know that for the 401ks etc often you have to wait a bit before you are able to move them elsewhere. Check on that. Know that sometimes all your money has been sent to you in a final check but other times there will be little trickles still into your 401k etc so maybe wait a bit before doing anything. But check on the insurance stuff as soon as possible. Also, a lot of things will be mailed as a formality so if you are out of the country that will be a thing… 

    -Make a list of all money accounts that you have elsewhere
        Take inventory for now. Where are they? How much? How are they invested? What are they earning?  Fees? Etc. 

    -Budget Beginnings
        Take inventory. Make a list of all expenses and subscriptions. Check bank activity, credit cards, Apple Pay, Venmo, PayPal, email accounts, app subscriptions, etc. Make a big list. 

-Emotional/Spiritual
    -Write it all down but don’t make any sudden movements that aren’t necessary. 
    -Journal/gratitude journal. So corny but they work.
    -Move your body each day
    -Drink water
    -Sleep
    -Slow down

The thing is to not to try to do anything except the same process again and again each day and slowly it’s like this settling that happens. The dust settles. The boat stops rocking. The pendulum stops swinging. I’ve moved and traveled and been married and divorced and lost loved ones and I don’t know apparently have done a bunch of things where actually there is wisdom now I guess and I am really just saying all of this or typing all of this for myself. Maybe this is self-soothing? Maybe all that yoga and self help stuff and podcasts and YouTube videos and oil pulling and therapy etc etc etc etc has paid off. 

Really this is just a comedy blog. 

And really I am just honestly blissed out about starting my little balcony garden, making a smoothie bowl, and walking our dogs on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment